Monday, October 1, 2007

Weekend ART


HAPPY MONDAY to you all!



I think that time has sped up in my world since I retired! I absolutely don't know where the days go! The weekend absolutely FLEW by! Sweet hubby and I went to our twice monthly discussion group with a long time group of friends (we watch a video on anything from science to psychology to mythology to who knows what else and then discuss it - or NOT)! We just enjoy getting together, sharing a meal, and talking about the state of LIFE in our whacko world with great friends! On Sunday, hubby and I attended our next door neighbor's 80th birthday! I only hope that I'm as active and happy as he is at 80! It was wonderful to see soooo many people gathered to help him celebrate this milestone! We also watched a great deal of Ken Burns new film series called "The War"! I could spend an entire Blog talking about this phenomenal film effort. It should be REQUIRED watching for every school child for his/her history class!! If you get a chance, I highly recommend that you watch as much of it as you can - you too will learn so much about this time in history from just about every perspective.




Now, back to ART!! Just about the rest of my time was spent working on the sample for our techniques section of the Divas D'Este October Newsletter - so at least I was doing some ART! This month I promised Dawn that I would do the technique section of the newsletter - she's done ALL the others! So, since I have so much fun doing layering techniques for backgrounds, I decided that I would use that as my contribution...oh my goodness! It is not that easy to do these samples - no wonder it takes her so long!!!! After EACH and EVERY step, you have to make sure your paint, glue, medium, etc. is dry enough to put on the scanner, wait for the scanner to do its thing, then adjust, crop, save, etc. the image, then go do the next step, stop, dry, scan, and begin again!! AND, oh my gosh if you should make a mistake - 'cause then you would have to start all over again (at least on a piece like I chose where each layer builds on the previous one). The next time I volunteer to do this, it is going to be something EASIER!! BUT, here's the final project...NOW you just have to wait for the newsletter to find out how I did it!!! giggle OH, I almost forgot - now I need to write up what I did on each of the steps!! Maybe tomorrow!



Our grand and glorious Mistress of the Web, Pat, uploaded all our new stuff to the Divas D'Este website this weekend!!! THANK YOU, PAT!! It looks fabulous! She also added the first of what I'm sure will end up being a long list of Blogs to our Links page. If any of you have a Blog and want to be listed, PLEASE send us a note.



Today, after completing a long list of errands, I started on another collage sheet - this one I called Hootchy Kootchy Girls, and for those of you who have never heard this term, I thought I would tell you who these infamous ladies were!




The Streets of Cairo, or the Poor Little Country Maid was a well-known melody in years past. In the United States, the song was best known as The Hootchy Kootchy Dance (today the phrase "hootchy-kootchy" generally means an erotic suggestive dance). Originally, the song was purported to have been written by Sol Bloom, a showman (and later, a U.S. Congressman) who was the entertainment director of the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. It included an attraction called "A Street in Cairo" which featured snake charmers, camel rides and a scandalous dancer known as Little Egypt. Little Egypt is the one I remember as being the most famous Hootchy Kootchy dancer!




Since I have made a complete and total disaster of my art room, I'm going to try to attempt to make a path through the assortment of paint, glue, fabric, and STUFF so that I can start on something else!!



Hope you're enjoying the musings of the Divas D'Este! Come back any ole' time, ya'll!!


Dawn and De

3 comments:

Trixie said...

What a great post! Have you tried just photographing your stuff with a digital camera in between steps? At the end you would then cut, crop and all that jazz to the pictures. You can also import them to wherever. Just an idea. I too hope to art it up this coming weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

Penny L Weaver said...

ooooh, i just LOVE the sample piece! beautiful colors (i do have a weakness for coppery tones), and the central image 'speaks' of fall and harvest and the bounty of all that we are surrounded with in the 'wacky world' ;-) ...you seem to be settling into this 'blogging thing' quite well! not quite as cool as hanging out in the lounge; but pretty darn close!

Gypsies, Rebels and Divas said...

Thanks to all of you for the GREAT comments - I truly appreciate them! I am such a doofus when it comes to digital cameras - and our's is very old! BUT, my b'day is Sunday, so I MIGHT get a new one! I know you are all totally correct about the ease of the process, so we will see what happens...to be continued!